 Animation / 787
Re: Restart of LDA2001 Project (using LDraw models - L3P - POV)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray, lugnet.animation
Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 2005 12:51:20 GMT

Hi everyone,

No really, I have been working on lots of animation stuff.  VERY VERY
COOL.
Here is a short preview (which isn't so cool but shows work being done).

http://firebolt.scl.utah.edu/Walking/Walk.mp4

(This is basically Pieter Desnerck's walk macro
http://users.skynet.be/fam.desnerck/Lego/Animations.html)

You call this a walk? Even though a minifig is not human, it looks much more
convincing to at least try to mimick obedience of the laws of physics.
Walking, as Richard Williams states in "The Animator's Survival Kit", is
controlled falling. You let yourself fall over and just in time catch
yourself with your leg. I see non of that in the walk sequence above. It'd
work in a computer game, but in a movie it'd look out of place.

The following link shows how "we" do it.
http://www.thehowlingfantods.com/bricktastic/walktute.htm
Of course, in the computer you're not concerned with keeping the figure
upright by using the studs of the baseplate, so your walk cycle should be
more accurate than ours!

As for a brickfilm completed entirely in CGI, take a look at Rocketmen vs
Robots:
http://asciipr0n.com/4096/rocketmen/
The only Lego-ish elements in these films are the minifigs, and even there
the creator has taken many liberties, but the films do show what CGI is
capable of. Hint: he did not use automatic scripts - he did all animation
himself in a 3D cad program (3D Studio Max, I believe). As an engineer, I
can appreciate your efforts. As an animator, though, I see more future for a
tool like LD4D Modeler.
http://www.rolandmelkert.nl/LD4DModeler/features#joints
Something that allows me to put stuff into position on certain keyframes,
preferably by dragging with the mouse. That might make me consider 3D
animation again.

I'll follow this with interest. Should an actual movie come out of one of
these efforts, please post it at http://www.brickfilms.com/ as well.

Yours,

Stefan.