 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 2369
Re: Restart of LDA2001 Project (using LDraw models - L3P - POV)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray, lugnet.animation, lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 14 Jan 2005 20:46:17 GMT

In lugnet.cad.ray, James Reynolds wrote:
To get this from L3P, it would need to recognize separate models and place each
model in a macro block instead of an object block.  So right now, l3p declares
models like this:

colors are defined

individual parts are defined

the model is defined

the model is created and placed

floor

background

camera

lights

In the coming L3P each section is tagged with POV comments like
//// ModelObject
//// Camera
//// Lights
exactly to help cutting out the interested POV code.

The significant thing about that is the addition of the (), which allows you to
put your values in there.  What would be really cool is if we could declare
pivot points/rotation axis/unions in LDraw and have L3P carry them into the POV
document.

I'm reluctant to adding too much complexity into L3P
to suit different special needs.

I think it would be the most flexible for all parties
to keep L3P as a simple DAT->POV converter,
where you can cut model POV code from.
Different applications can then compose their own POV files
based on their own control data file.
/Lars
PS. If it can help you I might consider changing L3P to generate macros (without any arguments)
in stead of declarations. I don't know the impact of this - I'll have to investigate...