 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 2378
Re: Restart of LDA Project (using LDraw models - L3P - POV)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray, lugnet.animation, lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 17 Jan 2005 02:03:39 GMT

In lugnet.cad.ray, James Reynolds wrote:

This is a little bit of the same situation. We have at least two systems
competing and I'm willing to give up my system if another proves to be better.
But I hope to win this time. :)

You mean LD4D and you or POV-Ray and you?

I think I mean... I don't remember!

You really need to look at how POV-Ray does animation.  It has all of this built
in.  I think one reason why animation is so hard is because L3P's output is
overwhelming.

Maybe, but that's not really the problem to me.

http://james.magnusviri.com/lego/pov_ray_tutorial/demo_sm.pov

... but the problem with *not* having all code in the same file (as in L3P
output files) is having to hunt down all the include files!

Anyway, the workflow I am interested in pursing is the syntax that would allow
LDraw editors to position cameras, lights, objects in keyframe format.  And
mainly, the new syntax would allow:

I'd say let's start with camera.dat and lookat.dat. If we make them with lines
only (linetype 2 and maybe some edge primitives), they will become invisible in
the POV pics!

A script or GUI to apply "actions" to animatable parts.  Animatable parts will
be the parts of an MPD file, or some other keyword to identify it and it's
linked points.  The animatable parts will also contain information about what
actions are possible: pivot points, axis of rotation, etc.  The parent part of
the model would define overall actions like "walk".

This is quite exactly my vision too, you just use different words!

Working with keyframes and automatic tweening would be fantastic, but I have no
clue on how to make that yet. Maybe we can find something interesting by
studying LSynth? The problem with filling hoses is kind of reminds me of
tweening...

Anyway, first I will debug LDA2001, and then I'll think about the what the next
step will be.

/Tore