 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 2350
Re: Restart of LDA2001 Project (using LDraw models - L3P - POV)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray, lugnet.animation
Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 2005 01:20:29 GMT

In lugnet.cad.ray, James Reynolds wrote:
In lugnet.cad.ray, Tore Eriksson wrote:
There are two alternatives when making POV animations from LDraw models. Either
you use POV's own internal animation support and write functions that call the
clock varible. Using that method, you can make repetive movements that are
easily defined by mathematical statements. But if you want a minifig to walk
five steps, stop, turn around, and climb into a vehicle, the POV clock method
seems very, very complicated to use. At least to me. That's why I have picked
the other alternative; make an LDraw model for each frame and batch convert them
through L3P.

Tore,
I'm sure you remember my attempts at the same thing.

http://james.magnusviri.com/lego/lani/

Of course I do. I even had plans to use your syntax with the next version.

Well, I finally decided that POV-Ray is the way to go.  Yeah, harder at first,
but there are several people working on minifig walking includes (I've got my
own as well).  After working with POV-Ray's splines, I am sold.  What I think we
should be doing is working on POV-Ray includes.

You still have to impress me. It way too complicated to be even close to
user-friendly.

And as far as working with the clock, there are many ways to make it easier,
like defining internal clocks that start and stop where you want (instead of 0
to 1).

Check out my tutorial:

http://james.magnusviri.com/lego/pov_ray_tutorial/

I'm working on stuff every night.  Many future animations coming!

I'm excited.  But I might be just a bit over excited today because of the Mac
Mini and iPod Shuffle and other cool stuff announced today, so ignore my
excitement.

No really, I have been working on lots of animation stuff.  VERY VERY COOL.
Here is a short preview (which isn't so cool but shows work being done).

http://firebolt.scl.utah.edu/Walking/Walk.mp4

Sorry, file format not supported.

(This is basically Pieter Desnerck's walk macro
http://users.skynet.be/fam.desnerck/Lego/Animations.html)

James

Have you seen the works at BrickFilms.com ? The stop-motion gang leads by at
least 50-1 against us! It's time to make a change here.

No, I still don't think working directly with POV code and POV include files is
the way to go, but I'd be more than happy to be proven wrong! Until anyone comes
up with some kind of shell program or better tutorials - sorry, I don't mean to
strike down on anyone's efforts, but the scarce pages I found so far is not much
of help for me at all - until then I will try to work my path and you are free
to work yours.

My project has been down for more than three years now, but except for the
spline thingie, yours do not seem to have gotten very much further tham mine at
sept 2001. Sorry for the harsh words, I'm not angry or trying to hurt you or
boasting at your expense (hey, my own project has been standing still for 3
years!), and I really hope that I'm wrong. But, like I said before, so far I'm
not at all impressed by the progress I have seen.

Btw, I have plans to make dat (or maybe ldr) files with the same function as the
POV include files, but with the difference you can preview them in any LDraw
compatible viewer.

Regards,
/Tore