 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 2372
Re: Restart of LDA Project (using LDraw models - L3P - POV)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray, lugnet.animation, lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sat, 15 Jan 2005 14:57:52 GMT

In lugnet.cad.ray, James Reynolds wrote:
I know the syntax alone wont be much good.  If there aren't tools
that use it, the syntax can't really be proven or improved.

Yes, that's why I also make this little humble program to see if my ideas work
put to practice.

And I imagine it
will take some trial and error before everyone is happy.  And even though you
invision your tool as a scripting langauge thing, in the end, I would like to
have some sort of GUI editor similar to what Stefan described earlier.

So, what do we do to make this happen?  Do we round up everyone who is
interested in this?  I know people have dabbled for years, but I don't know if
anything is really a working product except for  Roland Melkert's LD4DModeler.

... and that program crasches on all of my PC:s, expect the very first beta
version he released... :((

I have never tried it and I don't know anything about it.  I know Ahui Herrera
wrote the LDraw.org animation tutorials.  I just went looking and the other 2
LDraw animators I know of are Steve Krass and Martin Humel.  Anyone I miss?
Shall we all get together and talk?

Maybe, maybe not. I recall James J and me had like a competition with his LDraw
and my SimLego. At first, I thought my program was better, easier interface and
faster rendering. So we developed our programs parallelly, until the day I
realized the LDraw was in fact better. Its "foundation" was much more generic
while I had to start from.scratch with all improvements. So I happily
surrendered to the better idea and abandoned SimLego.

This is a little bit of the same situation. We have at least two systems
competing and I'm willing to give up my system if another proves to be better.
But I hope to win this time. :)

Maybe if we put our heads together, we can come up with something!

That would be great! If anyone believes in my idea, he (or she of course) is
very welcome to join me. There are many sub-projects that I haven't even touched
yet.

Next steps for me:
* Dig back into the source code and try to remember how I reasoned.
* Insert the new minifig arms and hands.
* As I no longer can reach my homepages via ftp, I'll have to start with trying
to set up one at my new ISP.
* Set up a very simple LDA home page to upload the works to.

Thing I would happily recieve assistance with:
* A system for .dat files (or maybe .ldr?) that work the same way as the jump,
run, different walk macros/functions/include files or what you said. These
should define different minifig behaviours, but also other figures and vehicles
and...? They should be read by any LCad viwer but also contain the information
needed for LDA to manipulate for example a minifig in a desired way.
I have thought about STEP and CLEAR but some kind of clock information seems
necessary. I have somehow prepared for that with the variable FramesPerLoop.
* Syntax advises. Somebody stop me if I'm on the wrong way somewhere, and tell
me how a more proper syntax used for animation purposes sounds.
* The latest thoughts I have is that I think I need three different LookAt
states (used by both figures and Camera), plus maybe a clocked "turn head
towards" function.

More details on these three requestes if anyone is interested.

Got to go now!
/Tore