 Animation / 783
Re: Restart of LDA2001 Project (using LDraw models - L3P - POV)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray, lugnet.animation
Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 2005 00:26:54 GMT

In lugnet.cad.ray, Stefan van Zwam wrote:
Hi!

You may want to check out this thread: http://news.lugnet.com/cad/?n=11148

I have read it, yes. So far, I'm not impressed.

You'll see that Mike tried a similar thing a while ago. I'm sure he was not
aware of your efforts.

Personally, I have my reservations. Making this mechanical somehow takes the
life from it. And isn't "animation" about bringing things to life? If you
were developing a way to import Ldraw models into Computer Graphics
software, and automatically add "bones" to them, leaving the animation to
the animator, then I'd be more enthusiastic - not that I'd use it, mind you!
I'm a stop-motion animator. But some people might be interested.

I've been hanging around at BrickFilms for a while, and I'm very impressed with
the stop-motion results so far. So far, I have not seen any virtual film come
close to them. But my vision lives on. Even with better animation scripts,
virtual film may still seem more life-less and robotic, but if I even reach my
goal, the great advantage will be *much* less work to make the same scene. And
let's say you like the scene you made in stop-motion, but realize that if would
be much cooler to let the camera move another way. Well, just start from
scratch! With a LDA script saved, just change the camera commands and re-compile
the whole thing. No sweat at all.

So I still hold on to my dream of making it the virtual way.

Yours,

Stefan.

P.S. I'm not too used to this follow-up business, but I think it's a good
idea to keep this around in .animation as well. Hopefully I did it right...

Yes you did. And I suppose you're right.

/Tore