 Adventurers / 2009
Re: Steamed Onions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.adventurers
Date:
Mon, 8 Nov 2004 20:43:00 GMT

In lugnet.adventurers, Kevin Heckel wrote:
   In lugnet.adventurers, Niels Bugge wrote:

What about a distillery? It must be possible to distil a lot of Whiskey in such a dome ;-)

Heh, that would make an awesome moonbase-- Jack Daniel’s Distillery, operated by his descendant Buzz Daniels. In PCS color scheme. Yeah.

I was thinking more of Tech West when I said Whiskey, if you want it to be PCS, it’ll probably has to be Flash Gordon (dry) Gin.

   Well what can one expect? There seems to be a magic boundary at around parts with a LxWxH>100 where parts turn lame (with a few exceptions above and a lot below) because they’re too big and recognizable to be used for anything else than the role they were originally intended for, unless you’re into capital (space) ships. BTW what made you post this MOC in .space? (Except for the exclusive reason that I wouldn’t have had the pleasure of finding it if you hadn’t?)

Now we just need to simplify your working formula, make it sound snarkier, and then I can put it on a t-shirt.

What about “Parts > 100 stud^3 = lame”?

   I would be into cap ships, and even though I might have the parts to make one by now, I’d never get the darn thing finished.

I can’t figure out how people have time for such neither, I’ve worked on a 90 stud ship for the last 70 days, and I don’t think that can be called neither finished nor capital. Of course it doesn’t help that I’m building it in MLCad; there’s a lot of “what the hey now-staring” at the screen involved in such a project. The 90 stud hoverbus I made in the spring took 150 hours over a couple of months.

   As for why I posted it in .space? Well, steampunk and techwest’s basic difference seems to lie in location (i.e. Earth/planetside vs. Space) so the terms have been used almost interchangeably, and so I thought I’d throw the original post there, if not the FUT. And yes, a bit of it was to get exposure, .adventurers isn’t exactly hopping ^^;

Clever ;-)

   Yes of course, but I still think they should’ve taken the trouble of making the “shoulders” (by the arrow) of it more smooth; there is an edge where the two curves (neck and belly) meets, to avoid annoying some of us.

Yeah, well if I was gonna be a stickler, I never woulda forgiven them for the zeppelin part in 5956.

I bought that one for my niece, and thought of getting one for myself, when I realized that it was too long for my lame parts box which is already filled with all the big pirate boatparts anyways.

Hm! Those boatparts made me wonder: They’re probably ok if you whish to make sailships, and the domes ok for eastern architecture… And those castlewalls with rounded windows is probably good for castles, even though TLC should’ve made half of them without windows so they could be used for space, which actually brings me back to my true lame-criteria namely that “if it looks lame on a 10x20 spaceship, it is lame”

Maybe you can use that test on your T-shirt, or perhaps we should try to change it into something that other than spacers can agree on... But I still kinda like the >100 test, it do hold some truth.

On second thoughts, maybe that dome wouldn’t look that bad as engine on a 20x10 spaceship after all, oooh temptation!!!

   I got 4 bubbles and a lot of the blue plates in that P@B ;-) The elephant looked too ugly to me.

Cheers NB

I wish my PAB was as good as that! Not only is it lame and small (in the Colorado outlet), they just jacked up the price to US$12.95 a bag =( And the elephant is just awesome. It has more “personality” in real life, IMHO.

I got a couple of those nearby too (<2 km’s apart, with exactly the same pieces!), how much are you able to stuff into them? I usually get around 170g/300pieces. But now I don’t need any more darkblay grilletiles (I think I have enough for about 20x20cm’s) so this new offer, where you can fill a 5 kg box for 75$ with bags from TLC’s excessive sets, came perfectly to ruin my economy...

Cheers NB