 Administrative / NNTP / 777
Re: E-mail authentication during posting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Mon, 18 Jun 2001 12:09:18 GMT

In lugnet.admin.nntp, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.admin.nntp, Daniel Crichton writes:
What percentage of the news readers allow the use of authenticated NNTP?

As far as I'm aware, zero.  NNTP doesn't do authentication -- it does
authorization.  That is, if you're authorized to post to the server
(after giving your username/password), you can still forge messages in
anyone's name.  Some server hacks might be possible that would match up
the authorization entry with an authentication entry, but the server would
still be requiring a username/password just to let people read, unless there
was a read-only server and a read-write server.

A public news server that I use allows people to connect and read messages
freely, but requires a username/password to post, so it shouldn't be
unfeasible to do that here. You'd still need to do some additional checking
to ensure the username matched the sender's name, though.

--
Iain

imb@clara.net

"how can you say that iain is a furyy fpevcg?!" - kristen