 Administrative / NNTP / 767
Re: E-mail authentication during posting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Mon, 18 Jun 2001 07:39:40 GMT

"LUGNET Admin" <todd@lugnet.com> wrote in message
The simplest way around this is for the server to accept a message, then • send
a quick confirmation e-mail to the poster listed in the From: header. • This
e-mail contains a special URL which will authenticate or "release" the • message
into the pool of active messages.  Click that URL, then click "Post It" • and
you're all set.

What percentage of the news readers allow the use of authenticated NNTP? I
know OE does, you simply supply a login name and password in the account
properties. Could this system not have been implemented to save having to
use a news client, a mail client and a web browser just to post a message?
This is going to get messy very quickly, I can see that a lot of posts are
never going to make it because people are going to forget to do this extra
step or email is going to get lost (it's not the most reliable transport on
the net!). I for one prefer to use a news client as I can mark off messages
I've read and so each time I check I only have to flick through the unread
messages, if this could be duplicated on the web client then I'd use it more
but I'm guessing that would be a nightmare as the server would have to keep
track of every message that each person had read in each group. I understand
the reasoning behind this new security but surely it's better to try and use
any NNTP options available before having to consider mixing different
mediums.

Dan