 Administrative / NNTP / 789
Re: E-mail authentication during posting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Mon, 18 Jun 2001 13:56:17 GMT

"Eric Kingsley" <kingsley@nelug.org> wrote in message
It's already been proven that revoking priviledges doesn't work.  Whatever • fix
is put in needs to address the problem as much as possible before it gets • to
the revokation point, IMHO.  Sure you can revoke an ID/password but what • is to
stop them from getting another one?  Possibly something could be tied to • you
member ID but I don't know if that is reasonable or not.

This new system has little benefit over the existing open one if you look at
it from the view of being able to block posting by individuals. I have about
30 different email accounts in various places so just banning one email
address doesn't stop me signing up with a different address and a new name
and posting again. This system only addresses preventing someone using an
existing name and address for their own use. The added hassle of having to
take 3 steps for each post rather than 1 is a real pain - using an id and
password in the NNTP protocol would get the system back to 1 step and still
prevent hijacking of the name and email address as the current name and
address check could be combined with the id and password check, and as the
id and password are hidden it would be difficult without a way of tapping
the route between the poster and the server to obtain those credentials. If
the server could be setup to allow reading by anyone but only allow posting
with a valid id and password that would solve both the id/password
requirement for casual readers (no longer an issue) and the verification of
the poster (send their id and password via email when they sign up, allow
them to change the password via the web interface, you know their address
must be valid and belongs to them and the details can't be used by someone
else).

Today was the first time I'd taken a look at admin.nntp as I didn't realise
it was here, otherwise I'd have got more involved when the changes were
first being discussed - I don't remember there being a mention in .announce
about the discussion, the first I saw was when I got the message by mail
that the system had changed. Guess I'll have to check the rest of the list
of groups to see if there are any others I might need to start reading.

Dan