 Administrative / NNTP / 1532
    Re: False premise in this message needs to be identified as what it is —David Eaton
   (...) I can't say I agree-- by saying that, you're absolutely forcing LUGNET into a position of choosing a religion by arguing that something that's *unreligious* is a religion in and of itself. Hence, you could argue that nothing ever was (...) (20 years ago, 20-Sep-04, to lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

        Re: False premise in this message needs to be identified as what it is —Lee Meyer
     (...) Hi Dave, the point I was trying to make was that when you deal with a topic that has moral/religious implications (such as homosexuality), if before the discussion has even begun, you state that religious factors will not be taken into (...) (20 years ago, 21-Sep-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

         Re: False premise in this message needs to be identified as what it is —David Laswell
      (...) Why not? Jesus did. Who did he hang out with all the time? The Scribes? The Pharisees? Or the people that they had labeled Sinners™? Which group are you representing right now? (20 years ago, 21-Sep-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

         Re: False premise in this message needs to be identified as what it is —Jennifer Clark
       "Lee Meyer" <leemeyer1@compuserve.com> wrote in message news:I4DGG3.yz4@lugnet.com... (...) separate (...) that (...) that is (...) LUGNET (...) If one were to base Lugnet decisions on faith, which faith system would one choose as the basis for (...) (20 years ago, 21-Sep-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

         Re: False premise in this message needs to be identified as what it is —Christopher L. Weeks
      (...) There are no moral implications in the issue -- except for the immorality of behaving in a hostile manner toward a harmless minority, of course. (...) Out of curiosity, would it be more or less hostile to your particular religion if Todd (...) (20 years ago, 21-Sep-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

          Re: False premise in this message needs to be identified as what it is —Larry Pieniazek
      (...) Under your morality, perhaps. I recognise that different people hold different moralities, and under other moral systems, there may well be moral implications here. However I also hold the (somewhat unpopular and somewhat hard to prove (...) (20 years ago, 21-Sep-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

          Re: False premise in this message needs to be identified as what it is —Christopher L. Weeks
      (...) Well, sure. I think that compared to at least some of the implications of "life affirming," I this that satisfaction of preference is a better metric of morality. What generates more satisfaction/happiness, rather than what generates more (...) (20 years ago, 21-Sep-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

          Re: False premise in this message needs to be identified as what it is —Larry Pieniazek
      (...) I guess it depends on the definition of "life affirming", as I don't see more life as necessarily better life. Being happy is very life affirming. But ya. (20 years ago, 21-Sep-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

         Re: False premise in this message needs to be identified as what it is —David Koudys
      In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Lee Meyer wrote: <snip> (...) Don't certain faiths hold the average bovine in high esteem? Would that necessitate that all topics of conversation regarding having a 'LEGO Buildfest and BBQ at Biffs Place' be inherently a (...) (20 years ago, 21-Sep-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

         Re: False premise in this message needs to be identified as what it is —Leonard Hoffman
      (...) Some can. Like my father for example - who is a United Methodist Minister, and has been for the past 15+ years. He is a respected member of the Christian Community in Daytona Beach - and a friend of the Bishop for the United Methodist Church (...) (20 years ago, 21-Sep-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

         Re: False premise in this message needs to be identified as what it is —David Eaton
     (...) Just a quick aside, pretty much anything has implications in some religion or other. Lego altogether is an affront to the Amish I'm sure, since they don't even believe in using such technical marvels as buttons, let alone plastics and the (...) (20 years ago, 21-Sep-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Too Froody Zaphod (was Re: False premise in this message needs to be identified as what it is ) —Alfred Speredelozzi
   (...) Oh man, we're really gonna need a towel. (...) Don't Panic! :p -Alfred (20 years ago, 21-Sep-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

        Re: Too Froody Zaphod (was Re: False premise in this message needs to be identified as what it is ) —David Koudys
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Alfred Speredelozzi wrote: <snip> (...) Did you sass that hoopy Alfred? He's a really cool frood who knows where his towel is... Dave K (20 years ago, 21-Sep-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)