 Off-Topic / Debate / 25988
Re: False premise in this message needs to be identified as what it is
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 2004 15:17:48 GMT

   You have to understand that people of faith cannot compartmentalize or separate their faith/morality from their decisions. To say we actively make sure that religion has no place in the decision making process makes it a process that is inherently hostile towards all people of faith. ANd I’m not singling out LUGNET here, it;s just a specific example.

Some can.

Like my father for example - who is a United Methodist Minister, and has been for the past 15+ years. He is a respected member of the Christian Community in Daytona Beach - and a friend of the Bishop for the United Methodist Church in Florida.

He believes deeply in seperation of church and state, and in seperation of secular from religious. He understands that it is this seperation that allows his purity of faith (no one has ever forced him to believe - it is his choice) and strengthens the position of his church within the community. He doesn’t want anyone else’s religious beliefs thrust upon him any more than he wants to thrust his beliefs on anyone else.

It may be hostile to religion, sure. But it is an equal approach. Equality is more important than whether something is hostile or not.

-Lenny