 Administrative / NNTP / 1466 (-20)
  Re: Bad news for NASA

Don't you think it is a little embarassing that the thread is now 75% administration Lar? I pushed "nested inline" in the expectation of lots of juicy NASA stuff. You didn't even include an "ob NASA" anywhere. :( You must go back N levels to (...) (20 years ago, 23-Jul-04, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.off-topic.geek, FTX)

  Re: Bad news for NASA

(...) I agree, I'm not sure. I assumed it would belong in .nntp, just because we're talking about threading, and how it should work... But looking at the nntp charter, it's not clear if it belongs there or not. (...) Heh, whatever I think of bashing (...) (20 years ago, 22-Jul-04, to lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Bad news for NASA

There is some confusion in my mind about whether this topic belongs in .general or .nntp... read the charter for general and it's on topic there. Plus that's where every other admin post is. So FUT to both I guess. (...) Whether it was already a (...) (20 years ago, 22-Jul-04, to lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.admin.general, FTX)

  Re: Bad news for NASA

(...) ... But since it didn't actually become a debate, shouldn't it be left alone? I thought it was a very interesting thread, and was surprised to find it just disappeared - if it wasn't for Steve's post, I wouldn't have had any idea that it was (...) (20 years ago, 22-Jul-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.nntp, FTX)

  Re: Followup-To, ex post facto

(...) I agree, we encourage notification. It also helps taking the 'temperature' of the community - especially from people who choose not to participate in a hot thread but are irritated by it. This will help us know when to take action and when not (...) (20 years ago, 20-Jul-04, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: Followup-To, ex post facto

(...) (Tim Courtney was just added to this list, IIRC) (...) Notification is *always* helpful. It may bring attention to something we overlooked. (I overlook things sometimes...) It will also validate that we're taking appropriate action. Depending (...) (20 years ago, 20-Jul-04, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: Followup-To, ex post facto

(...) Thank you, Todd. I can think of a number of occasions in the past few months where this would have made lugnet a much more pleasant place to be. (...) Should we notify you guys if we think a thread needs guidance, or just assume that you guys (...) (20 years ago, 20-Jul-04, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: Followup-To, ex post facto, or theory and practice of forceFUTting

(...) a FEW questions/comments. 1) This isn't a perfect fix, mail and nntp posters are not going to see the changes. 2) posts aren't moved, only the FUT is forced. Questions: Consider this thread: (URL) just forceFUTed the whole thread to (...) (20 years ago, 20-Jul-04, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: Followup-To, ex post facto

(...) By the way - does it actually move the posts, or just sets the FUT on them? From what I can see, posts that were "corrected" are still in their original newsgroups? Also, I guess a blank O-FUT header signifies that there was no original FUT, (...) (20 years ago, 20-Jul-04, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: Followup-To, ex post facto

(...) This is a great addition to the community. It's better than your typical moderation, which kills the discussion entirely. Hopefully people will have an easier time ignoring discussions they don't want to see, because they will be moved to the (...) (20 years ago, 20-Jul-04, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: test of FUT override

(...) Hmmmm - shouldn't it be X-Original-Followup-To? Would it send out notifications to test.bar, after the FUT's updated? Or does the post silently appear? Of course, this doesn't affect mail/news readers, but I don't think you can do anything (...) (20 years ago, 20-Jul-04, to lugnet.off-topic.test.bar, lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: Followup-To, ex post facto

(...) <snip> Thanks, Todd, this feature is most welcome. I've found the upswing in FUT "corralling" somewhat off-putting (to the point that I've limited my participation with Lugnet). Now, hopefully we can spend less time talking about meta-data and (...) (20 years ago, 20-Jul-04, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Followup-To, ex post facto

I have implemented a web interface feature which allows an news admin* to apply a slight change to a news article: If for some reason the 'Followup-To' header on a post was set incorrectly, or was left empty when it should have been set, this can (...) (20 years ago, 20-Jul-04, to lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.announce) !

  Re: New newsgroup lugnet.color

(...) Yes. And people complaining about people complaining about people complaining about colors. :) --Todd (20 years ago, 20-Jul-04, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: New newsgroup lugnet.color

Hopefully, this applies to people complaining about people complaining about colors, not just people complaining about colors. (20 years ago, 16-Jul-04, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: New newsgroup lugnet.color

This is a friendly reminder that the newsgroup lugnet.color exists for discussions about LEGO color issues... (URL) for rants and complaints about color issues. lugnet.general isn't the right place. Please do your best -not- to start or participate (...) (20 years ago, 14-Jul-04, to lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.general, lugnet.color, lugnet.announce) !!

  Re: lugnet.parts hierarchy (was Re: New Group Suggestions

(...) This issue has been raised again within the transition group. I have no update for you but I do think it's a good idea. (20 years ago, 3-Jul-04, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: lugnet.parts hierarchy (was Re: New Group Suggestions

(...) Any news of progress in creating the lugnet.parts newsgroup? Having spoken to Jake, he suggested I post some of my modified parts online, and I need somewhere to post links to the pictures! Mark (20 years ago, 3-Jul-04, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  BIP RSS Feed and Blog Update

All, Inspired by (URL) Dan's post> from earlier today about the new LUGNET RSS feed, I created a Building Instructions Portal Latest Updates feed. (URL) And while I'm on the subject of updates, I've recently implemented (URL) BlogFusion> on the (...) (20 years ago, 24-Jun-04, to lugnet.inst, lugnet.announce, lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.general, FTX)

  LUGNET news RSS feed

I've expanded the Peeron Sidebars idea to include an RSS feed of new posts. Not sure if it's going to be as useful as the LUGNET sidebar, but it was easy to code. The new feed can be found here: (URL) the old sidebars can still be found here: (URL) (...) (20 years ago, 23-Jun-04, to lugnet.announce, lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.off-topic.geek) !

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact