 Administrative / NNTP / 1458
Re: Followup-To, ex post facto
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Tue, 20 Jul 2004 14:14:46 GMT

On Tue, Jul 20, 2004 at 01:28:11PM +0000, Jeff Findley wrote:
In lugnet.admin.nntp, Todd Lehman wrote:
I have implemented a web interface feature which allows an news
admin* to apply a slight change to a news article: If for some
reason the 'Followup-To' header on a post was set incorrectly, or
was left empty when it should have been set, this can now be fixed.

This is a great addition to the community. It's better than your
typical moderation, which kills the discussion entirely. Hopefully
people will have an easier time ignoring discussions they don't want
to see, because they will be moved to the appropriate newsgroup.

By the way - does it actually move the posts, or just sets the FUT on
them?  From what I can see, posts that were "corrected" are still in
their original newsgroups?

Also, I guess a blank O-FUT header signifies that there was no original
FUT, but it was added afterwards... Perhaps the web interface should do
some magic there, to make it more clear? Show a non-clickable
"<blank>" if the header is empty, or something along those lines?

--
Dan Boger
dan@peeron.com