 Administrative / NNTP / 1461
Re: Followup-To, ex post facto
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Tue, 20 Jul 2004 17:10:12 GMT

In lugnet.admin.nntp, Tony Hafner wrote:
In lugnet.admin.nntp, Todd Lehman wrote:
I have implemented a web interface feature which allows an news admin* to
apply a slight change to a news article:  If for some reason the 'Followup-
To' header on a post was set incorrectly, or was left empty when it should
have been set, this can now be fixed.  This is for use when a thread is
getting out of hand or is likely to get out of hand...

Thank you, Todd.  I can think of a number of occasions in the past few months
where this would have made lugnet a much more pleasant place to be.

* currently:  me, Frank Filz, and Larry Pieniazek.

(Tim Courtney was just added to this list, IIRC)

Should we notify you guys if we think a thread needs guidance, or just assume
that you guys read all and see all? (I'm pretty sure Larry does)

Notification is *always* helpful. It may bring attention to something we
overlooked. (I overlook things sometimes...) It will also validate that we're
taking appropriate action. Depending on circumstances we may not wait for
notification, it depends.

I'd be interested in your take on my previously posted questions about
notification in the other direction elsewhere in this tree.