 Administrative / NNTP / 1465
Re: Bad news for NASA
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 22 Jul 2004 18:38:47 GMT

On Thu, Jul 22, 2004 at 06:31:41PM +0000, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
There is some confusion in my mind about whether this topic belongs
in .general or .nntp... read the charter for general and it's on
topic there. Plus that's where every other admin post is. So FUT to
both I guess.

I agree, I'm not sure.  I assumed it would belong in .nntp, just because
we're talking about threading, and how it should work...  But looking at
the nntp charter, it's not clear if it belongs there or not.

Whether it was already a debate or not is debatable. The buzzers were
going off for me merely on what the topic had veered to already. There
doesn't have to be disagreement for it to fit the (implicit) charter
of .debate... parties don't have to be arguing (I think everyone in
the thread is less than 100% impressed with Congress and or NASA...)
and that doesn't fit "generally positive" (from the .geek charter)
unless bashing Congress is generally positive.

Heh, whatever I think of bashing congress, see my other reply -
"buzzers" on the "topic" are the wrong criteria, imo.

I thought it was a very interesting thread, and was surprised to
find it just disappeared - if it wasn't for Steve's post, I
wouldn't have had any idea that it was "Forced" to move.

That's an NNTP limitation because it didn't disappear from the web
view. But I agree, I goofed, see below.

I meant that I didn't see any replies to the post, even though I
expected to see them.  I'm sure the post is still visible for
newsreaders (but I don't use one usually, so I didn't verify).

Well, at the very least, do what any proper FUT requires - cross
post the notification to BOTH groups.

Ya, whoops. I forced first, then replied and forgot to add the
original group to the post. Still learning. My bad.

No worries - I know it's a new tool, and it will take getting used to.

IMO, forcing threads to move should be a rare occurence, and
shouldn't be abused to move threads around (and disrupt the
readership) just because a thread is "veering in that direction".

But that's just me thinking aloud.

Thanks for sharing your viewpoint. I don't know that we have the right
answer yet on when to use this tool or not. But I'm not sure this was
an abuse, really, or that your characterising it that way is helpful.

I wasn't meaning to imply you're abusing your power, just that I thought
you were a bit too quick to move the post.  Maybe it's the new-toy
syndrom.  I was thinking of abuse as "mis-use".

--
Dan Boger
dan@peeron.com