 Administrative / General / 8572
Re: Debate's current problem (was Re: Uselessness of .debate)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 21 Dec 2000 20:55:38 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Paul Baulch writes:

<snip>

I snipped the whole thing rather than responding point by point. I'll
summarise my stance as follows:

Great post. I'm disappointed that no one else commmented yet. Is it because
everyone agrees so totally that everyone else thinks comment would be
redundant? That can't be it...

Quoting:

Message-driven forum debates are not like face-to-face
discussions/arguments; they require constant re-summarisation and careful
reply-snipping, or else you get exactly what we've been getting in .debate -
a quagmire of redundant/irrelevant assertions, rebuttals, counter-rebuttals
and counter-counter-rebuttals ad nauseam i.e. NOISE.  Point-scoring, in
short, generates noise - potentially a great deal of it.

I assert we have some people who do this, consistently and repeatedly. Do
these people feel they don't do it, or feel that doing so is good?

You'll recall that I have said in the past that I can not and will not
respond to every "snipe" made, that people should be willing and able to
restate their points clearly, but not be asked to repeat every detail of
every supporting argument, and that I don't care for the interspersed one
liner style of debating.

Paul's post clearly states what I am referring to when I say sniping, and
reinforces why it's bad.

Or does it? Is there anyone who actually thinks it is a valuable style?

++Lar (a point scorer, but one who at least knows and admits he's doing it)