 Administrative / General / 8538
Re: Uselessness of .debate
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 18 Dec 2000 23:36:49 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Stangl writes:
I don't know if Todd already has this in place or not, but simply not
showing the .debate posts on the Newest Posts list on the front of
news.lugnet.com, [...]

Ya, the default is to omit .off-topic and .admin noise:

http://news.lugnet.com/news/filter/

http://news.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=5145
http://news.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=5169

and limiting .debate posts from showing in any search (except explicitly
choosing .debate as the search group) would do wonders to lowering the
perceived traffic for people who could care less about .debate.

That would be a bit trickier but might come almost for free since it already
filters out groups not in the query.

Hmm.  Something that I've noticed for a while not, but not cared enough to
mention before this is...

The skip filter only works on the highest level, and goes away as soon as I
drill down into a sup-group.  (ie: I have .debate filtered out, but if I go
into the off-topic branch of newsgroups, I see .debate messages)

It's not a big deal, or anything, I'm just wondering why that happens.

James