 Administrative / General / 7870
Re: Web interface "ignore user"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 8 Oct 2000 07:58:26 GMT

On Sat, 7 Oct 2000 20:11:41, Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> wrote:

but there would be a lot of code touching and retesting underneath, and the
whole thing would be relatively expensive from a development point of view
compared to its payback.

Unless there's evidence of a lot of demand,  my response in your
position would be "Use a newsreader for reading,  and use the web
interface for searching".  Far from ideal,  yes,  but:

   a. It's available now,
   b. It allows people who want the feature to tailor it to their
tastes*,  and
   c. It doesn't distract you from the vitally-important task of
packing our Auczilla booty  ;-)

Ran

* To take an extreme example,  some newsreaders will allow you to
killfile an entire thread if the object of your disaffection posts to
it.  Or you can say "xxx is an obnoxious blowhard,  but really knows
about motors,  so I won't killfile him in .robotics".  Modern
killfiles are a many-spoked wheel that you don't want to reinvent
without a *very* good reason.