 Administrative / General / 7864
Re: Web interface "ignore user"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 7 Oct 2000 20:11:41 GMT

[...]
I dunno if it's just me or if this is a generally useful thing, or if it even
goes against the community spirit you have in mind.

The funny thing about killfiling someone is that you still end up sometimes
seeing what they wrote inside of replies when people quote them (I think this
is pretty common).  You might also accidentally click on a link that someone
made to their article (probably a lot less common).  I don't think there's any
silver bullet, unfortunately.

[...]
Maybe this is impossible, I dunno. But it's something to think about and some
of the technology is there already, I suspect, since in the recent posts list
I don't see any posts from groups that I am ignoring...

Well, the homepage-filtering of groups rather localized to the linear
chronological listings from the root (the homepage and its "more" pages).
Thus, if you're looking at a thread, you'll still see all the messages in
that thread, even if they appear solely in groups included in your filter.
(The ng filter is a kluge that goes back to the "cleaning up the homepage
thread" a few months ago).

It's certainly not impossible to extend that filter to optionally filter
people as well, or to extend the entire filter (including people and groups)
to tree views and everything else, and the UI wouldn't have to be very fancy,
but there would be a lot of code touching and retesting underneath, and the
whole thing would be relatively expensive from a development point of view
compared to its payback.  If you wanted to fund it as a special development
tangent, we could talk.  :-)

--Todd