 Administrative / General / 7863
7862  |  7864
Subject:
Web interface "ignore user"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 7 Oct 2000 18:27:32 GMT

Todd,

There's one particular user that I am itching to ignore, I'd like to not even
see his posts, as they have a tendency to get me riled up and saying rash
things, he's so clueless and rude. Is this a doable thing on the web interface
(on news, it's easy, if you have the right client, just create a rule to match
that user in your killfile and you can then announce a <plonk>)?

I dunno if it's just me or if this is a generally useful thing, or if it even
goes against the community spirit you have in mind.

Ignorance is bliss in this case (1), and I would want my ignorance to be
absolute... that is, don't see the user in the summary pages, don't see his
posts in tree view, etc. etc. Note that some spill over is unavoidable since
1) replies quoting him will be seen and some of his words thus get seen too
2) you can't avoid the impact on traffic since that's not a user specific
generated thing...

Maybe this is impossible, I dunno. But it's something to think about and some
of the technology is there already, I suspect, since in the recent posts list
I don't see any posts from groups that I am ignoring...

It is of course OK that this only work if I am logged in. (actually prefer
that to a cookie only driven approach).

Thoughts?

1 - no not Steve Bliss, he's a swell guy and I don't recall him EVER starting
a controversial thread. That's all I'll say about who it is. I am sure if you
implement this I will end up in some people's ignore list, which is fine.

++Lar