 Administrative / General / 638
637  |  639
Subject:
Lugnet.robotics and the Robotics List
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 16 Dec 1998 17:47:33 GMT

At first I was very hesitant to have the mail list join the Lugnet robotics
group, but now I am very glad it did.  The increase in membership, and
knowledge was a welcome improvment.  It is also nice to be able to keep up
with the advancements in non-TLG produced programming applications, even if
I don't understand some of it.  However, there have been glimpses of
problems to come on *.robotics.

Those accessing through the mail list do not have the ability to move
off-topic threads to off-topic areas.  If the readership through the mail
list increases (not sure if it is or is not) this problem will likely crop
up more often.  I feel that after Christmas (Larry's winter solstice
celebration) there will be a surge of new members to both the
Lugnet.robotics, and the robotics list.  And the off-topic problems will
increase.  I would liken it to a RTL-like sub-population; you have a main
focus, but nowhere to post things that veer slightly (at first) from that
focus.

It is hard if not impossible to ask someone to move a thread since a) they
might not be able to, and b) those who can't read the off-topic groups will
want to continue to post to *.robotics through the list.  Recently I posted
about a Mindstorms sale At Eaton's here in Canada.  I justified making a
"market-place" post to *.robotics because it was Mindstorms related.  But I
see a continuation of this with sales/auctions/announcements of Technic sets
that have good parts for building with Mindstorms and Cybermaster.

I have seen threads -- that belonged in *.loc.*, *.storage, and *.debate.fun
groups -- that can't get moved.

I just wanted to bring this up now before it might get worse.  I think that
a plan should be discussed to deal with the potential problems.  Bringing
the list members into Lugnet would of course help solve the problem, but how
easy is this.  What percentage of membership to the *robotics list comes
from the mail list?  If it is large percentage it could easily just leave if
there were strict (1) rules placed on the posts.  Is there a possibility the
owner of the List will facilitate its assimilation?  This is doubtful, but I
can't see the advantages of having the two entities -- with the exception of
owning a very successful mail list.

Am I dense or is there other reasons why someone would not _want_ to take
advantage of Lugnet?  What I am I missing?  Todd has seemed to remove all
barriers... is it still harder to read Lugnet groups than say a mail list?

Another side problem that as come up is the ability to reply-to the author.
Unless the author places their address in the message, people from list
cant' reply directly to Lugneters, and visa versa.  This expands some
threads past where they need be, but has not been a major problem... yet.

Ideas?  I think better now than later.

1. strict only if you aren't a Lugnet member... otherwise posting to the
correct group is not a problem.

LINC