 Administrative / General / 644
Re: Lugnet.robotics and the Robotics List
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 17 Dec 1998 16:55:44 GMT

Linc Smith wrote in message ...
Recently I posted a query (in *.robotics) asking who was still reading
through the mail list, and why they weren't taking advantage of the other
services offered by Lugnet.  Not one reply, even though I now know that • list
members make up the majority of traffic.

I read via the mailing list instead of via lugnet for a couple of reasons:

1) My email comes in via IMAP, where my news doesn't.  IMAP keeps my
read/unread status on the server, which means that I can read mail from home
or work or pretty much anywhere and the status is kept up to date.  Now, I
could subscribe to all of the lugnet groups that I'm interested in via email
and get this same advantage, but I don't really want to do that (I'll
explain why later).  The web interface isn't an option for me, I've never
been happy reading email/news through web interfaces (otherwise I would have
given up my news client for dejanews long ago).

2) I personally use news for lower priority items then email.  I tend to
read all of my mailing lists every day, and at least skim each item.  I read
news every couple of days (or more often if work is light) and often punt
most of the items in a group.

3) I don't think that getting lugnet.robotics via email would be any
different then getting the lego-robotics list through the original listserv.
So I continue to read from the original listserv.

Now, that said, I have no problem with saying that a discussion should be
moved off of the list.  Historically one would say "move this off the list
into private email".  In the lego-robotics case I have no problem with
saying "move this off the list into lugnet.blah, btw, here is how to read
lugnet.blah".  I don't think that many of the recent topics (how many zeros
does a billion have) are relavent anywhere on lugnet though.

Finally, I would like to use this time to bring up one oddity in the way
that lugnet had the lugnet.robotics group setup.  It puts Reply-To headers
into the messages, while the lego-robotics list does not.  This is annoying,
because if one isn't paying attention then they'll find private emails going
back to the group.  I would like it to at least be consistent with the
mailing list, and in the best case I'd like to see the Reply-To's not put in
there by lugnet.  Is there a reason why they are there?

thanks,
alex