 Administrative / General / 650
Re: Lugnet.robotics and the Robotics List
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 17 Dec 1998 19:45:26 GMT

Alex Wetmore wrote in message
Linc Smith wrote in message
Recently I posted a query (in *.robotics) asking who was still reading
through the mail list, and why they weren't taking advantage of the other
services offered by Lugnet.  Not one reply, even though I now know that
listmembers make up the majority of traffic.

I read via the mailing list instead of via Lugnet for a couple of reasons:

So, I understand that: You _do_ use Lugnet news groups, but you subscribe to
the mail list because you are more interested in the robotics group (higher
priority) and you would rather it came to you through email.

Your set up and reasons for it seem valid and make sense to me.  I think
that you are right, that for you there is no difference between getting your
robotics news through Lugnet email or the mail list.  I wonder though how
many people have this setup.  I have a feeling that most list subscribers
are list only (don't know for sure ).

Historically one would say "move this off the list
into private email".  In the Lego-robotics case I have no problem with
saying "move this off the list into Lugnet.blah, btw, here is how to read
Lugnet.blah".

The problem I see with this is (and you could probably write a Sociology
Thesis on it) is that these threads need an audience.  Need, in the sense
that if not everyone is watching, the drive to send a message is lost.  I am
sure that some people think "ya this is off topic, but I will send only one
post".  Unfortunately a large number of people (including myself) had this
thought regarding the number of zeros in a billion, and Ugly American
Syndrome.  This is veering off from what I want to discuss though.

I like the idea of posting a email, when one of these runaway threads gets
going, that asks to move the thread to Lugnet.* and explain how to do it.  I
am going to write up a couple if ideas and post them here for editing (I
hope others might do the same).  I guess this is like the RTL recruitment
note, that was worked on early by Larry and others. (BTW did that get
posted?)

Personally, I think that people (being people) 1) won't pay much attention
to the suggestion or 2) will stop the thread rather than move it.  When
there was the "I live in X", "I live in y", "hey, anyone live in Z?" thread,
I suggested the move like you mention to the Lugnet.loc.* groups, and posted
how to do it, but I am curious if people moved, or just stopped posting on
that subject.  If the message states at little bit of "please move", and a
lot of "Lugnet offers this.[insert one of the glorious services]..." it
might be of use in snagging people to at least try it out.

I saw a post in the robotics group by a newbie that wanted to know about
archives of the mail list.  I am going to email him to survey if, as a
newbie, he has heard of Lugnet and how he came to join the mail list.  This
information would be very valuable for finding out why Lugnet was missed.
But as Alex mentioned, his email address isn't accessible to me (working on
it).

I don't think that many of the recent topics (how many zeros
does a billion have) are relevant anywhere on Lugnet though.

I think that it belongs in *.off-topic.debate or *.fun.  You are right that
it is not relevant (in mine and your opinions) and I personally wouldn't
read it, but there has to be a spot for people who like to expound on the
irrelevant; off-topic is the catch-all.  If you don't allow anything to go
in the off-topic group things will spill out in other groups.

Other things that might be discussed is who will decide to post the friendly
suggestion?  When is off-topic, off-topic enough?  Is there an attitude that
these threads come and go and if you relax they _will_ go away?  Are we (at
least me) concerned for no real reason, and should just let it run its
course?

LINC