 Administrative / General / 643
Re: Lugnet.robotics and the Robotics List
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 16 Dec 1998 21:48:39 GMT

Matthew Miller wrote in message ...
I think I suggested earlier -- if not, I meant to :) -- that the list could
be gatewayed to a subgroup, like lugnet.robotics.mailing-list or
lugnet.lists.lego-robotics. This makes the seperation more conscious.
There's pros and cons to both ways.

This is a possibility that would provide at least one group with a
semi-guaranteed semblance of order, but it does not address the problem
still existing on the mail list, and thus the proposed
Lugnet.robotics.mail-list.  I want access to the knowledge contained in the
mail list membership, and if it was a separate group I would still have to
read that group... noise and all (yes this is selfish).  Lugneters do not
make the majority of posts to robotics, and a loss of the list membership
would be a loss indeed.  Not to mention the dual threads on similar topics
in each of the two groups.  I suggest that we explore fixing the problem
before dealing with it.  I make it known that I am for the beneficial
integration of the mail list members into Lugnet, and my suggestions will be
mostly to this end.

Recently I posted a query (in *.robotics) asking who was still reading
through the mail list, and why they weren't taking advantage of the other
services offered by Lugnet.  Not one reply, even though I now know that list
members make up the majority of traffic.

I think we have to see if the list owner is interested in making the move to
Lugnet.  Ask him to pose the question to the membership.  This is a similar
to recruiting form RTL... very sensitive.  And I would like to hear if
others even think it is a good idea.

Something we have mentioned before, is the member webpage links to Lugnet.
Every member of Lugnet with a webpage should think to themselves "does
Lugnet do a service for me?"... if yes, put a Lugnet button link on your
page!!!

LINC

Ps the recent torrent of off-topic posts seems to have died, but I think we
should stay with hashing out the possibilities, because I think it will get
more frequent.