 Administrative / General / 637
Re: Not a problem (was Re: Still a problem)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 16 Dec 1998 18:22:23 GMT

"Tom McDonald" <rocketman@familySPAMTHIS,PALradio.com> writes:

Todd, today, 12/16, I checked in again to lugnet.com/news and the page behaved
normally. Thanks for fixing this!

You're welcome.  :)  But Two Things --

1) The URL is   http://www.lugnet.com/news/     not  http://lugnet.com/news

2) I'm sorry to say that the cycling-reloading-thing isn't really fixed --
   it's just swept under the rug for now.  The problem is that there is a
   chunk of JavaScript at the top,

      <SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">
      <!--
      url = "http://www.lugnet.com/news/";
      if (top.location != url) top.location = url;
      -->
      </SCRIPT>

   which behaves properly under Netscape but not under MSIE due to a bug in
   MSIE having something to do with a flawed != comparison.  It's very
   weird.  I commented out the line that gives MSIE the problem, but this
   isn't a real solution.  In fact, it's a Band-Aid on top of a Band-Aid.

The Real Solution is for me to fix the config file for Apache to either
reject http://lugnet.com/ URLS (that is, URLs without the www) or to
silently correct them to their corresponding http://www.lugnet.com/ forms.
I haven't done this yet because there are bunches of other Apache config
modifications that I want to swap in all at the same time.

--Todd