 Administrative / General / 6034
Re: Readable text fonts for screen editing (was: Horizontal scrolling...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.publish
Date:
Tue, 11 Apr 2000 15:50:52 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.admin.general, Bram Lambrecht wrote:

Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> writes:
Ahh, good point.  I used Terminal 6pt for everything in the old
days, but that was before +128 was a big deal.  I'd forgotten about
the character set of Terminal.

I use 8 pt. Fixedsys (the font Notepad uses) for email, html
editting and other applications which require a fixed width font.
It's very easy to read, easier than Terminal, IMO, and much easier
than Courier, which is usually too light-weight.  It's also one of
the few fonts, like Terminal, in which you can instantly tell a 0
from an O.  It has most (if not all) of the +128...
but that means you can't draw pictures like you can with Terminal :)

Just tried both Lucida Console and FixedSys.  They are both lighter
weight and have a different aspect (taller vs. width) than Terminal, so
either one will take some getting used to.  I use Terminal for just
about everything -- newsreading, coding (which is how I spend most of
my day), and of course, running stuff in the command prompt.

Sigh.  I can see it's time to hack up another typeface like I did in
1987 when Monaco didn't quite make the grade for BBSing (it also
suffered from the O/0 similarity and was missing some characters, but
not after I got done with it)...

Just send this thread off to o-t.geek whenever you feel like it. :-)

--
Susan Hoover
Houston, TX