 Administrative / General / 6031
6030  |  6032
Subject:
Readable text fonts for screen editing (was: Re: Horizontal scrolling while posting? (was: Re: whoop de doo))
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.publish
Date:
Mon, 10 Apr 2000 23:41:46 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Susan Hoover writes:
You might want to try the Lucida Sans (monospace) font at 8-pt if
you have it on your system, otherwise Terminal at 6-pt.

I wouldn't recommend that people use Terminal unless they don't mind
translating in their heads when people use characters from the upper-
128.  Terminal is an OEM font, codepage 437, like the old PC-"ANSI"
BBSes used to use for their graphics.  People who use the web
interface, and others who use Windows, seem to assume that people are
using codepage 850 (Microsoft's first feeble attempt at ISO Latin-1) or
1252 (ISO-Latin-1)[1], since that's what Windows uses.  If you use
Terminal, then what looks to everyone else like "Selçuk Göre" (that's
c-cedilla in the first name, and o-umlaut in the last) looks to you
like Sel*uk G÷re, where * is a lower case tau and ÷ is a division
symbol.

Ahh, good point.  I used Terminal 6pt for everything in the old days, but
that was before +128 was a big deal.  I'd forgotten about the character set
of Terminal.

Personally, I use Terminal because I like the letter shapes.  It's
a very readable typeface.  If I could find a Terminal-shaped Latin-1
I'd use it in a heartbeat.

I switched from Terminal to Lucida Console (that's what I meant to write
above, not Lucida Sans, oops) and really love it for programming and general
terminal windows.

Have you tried Lucida Console (TrueType, with Latin-1 Western encoding)?
IMHO, it looks quite good at "8 pt." and "10 pt." and is even as readable at
"7 pt." as Terminal is at "6 pt."  Reminds me of the good ol' days in the 70's
with a trusty ol' Prestige Elite 12 daisy-wheel.  Very readable!  (My only
dislike of it is that curly braces are kinda hard to tell from square brackets
at small type sizes -- not a problem in Courier or Terminal, IIRC.)

I forget where the TrueType version originates, but I think it's downloadable
at the MS fonts website...or maybe it came with Win95.

--Todd

I think I liked it better when we all used only the lower 128 to
communicate.  Maybe I will like it even better when, at some point in
the distant future, all tools on all platforms support the full ISO-
10646.  But I see that the W3 is already working on it.  (In a former
life, I wrote Windows-based terminal emulations for my employer.)
Obligatory ;-) goes here.

[1] Or 1250 (Latin-2, Eastern Europe) or 1254 (Turkish), etc.