 Administrative / General / 5564
  Is there a right or wrong way to use the vote?

By design the system is hard to abuse - one person one vote, and everybody is welcome to become a member and vote. That said, does it defeat the ethos of the system when people start using it to show a biased opinion, rather than an objective (...) (25 years ago, 26-Mar-00, to lugnet.admin.general) !

  Re: Is there a right or wrong way to use the vote?

(...) It's designed to work with biases. Tell it how _you_ reacted to the article, not how you imagine others will react or how high quality you think the article was. If you have a personal disgust with some particular person and mark their (...) (25 years ago, 26-Mar-00, to lugnet.admin.general) !

  Re: Is there a right or wrong way to use the vote?

(...) It won't affect how I read (or scan), either, but I'd like to be able to say during a search, "Take the ratings into account and make higher-rated articles come up this much higher or this much lower in the list" and other more high- level (...) (25 years ago, 26-Mar-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Is there a right or wrong way to use the vote?

(...) Excellent points. Based on what I am seeing in a different thread right in this very same group, I am already a bit concerned. Someone went through and rated posts clearly by whether that person agreed or disagreed. (...) I agree. BTW, I rated (...) (25 years ago, 26-Mar-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Is there a right or wrong way to use the vote?

(...) Hrmmm.... I use the web interface from time to time when it suits my fancy (twice with Opera today). I guess I'm going to have to start taking notice of the rating thing (not that I will participate in it since I won't be signing in till the (...) (25 years ago, 26-Mar-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Is there a right or wrong way to use the vote?

(...) Sounds cool. I'd like to be able to say during a search, "I need to find this specific post so please don't show me 20 others than aren't what I need." :) (25 years ago, 26-Mar-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Is there a right or wrong way to use the vote?

(...) If you're talking about the initial "New Feature" thread, with someone using the '30' and '80' midpoints, then that might be me. I welcome any comments on whether this is distasteful or not - I wasn't entirely sure, but I thought I'd show (...) (25 years ago, 26-Mar-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Is there a right or wrong way to use the vote?

(...) That said, and maybe the following goes without saying, but try not to rate articles that you haven't read, or that you can't read because they're in a language you don't speak. :) --Todd (25 years ago, 26-Mar-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Is there a right or wrong way to use the vote?

(...) An 83, how did you do that? The API of the process which accepts rating input is perfectly happy to take other numbers in 0-100 besides multiples of 10, but have you already written something to give finer-tuned ratings than the 11 defaults (...) (25 years ago, 26-Mar-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Is there a right or wrong way to use the vote?

(...) Silly me - the 'agree' and 'disagree' midpoints are actually 20 and 80 (if they have any use anyway!). Richard (25 years ago, 26-Mar-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Is there a right or wrong way to use the vote?

(...) No silly, although that's an interesting idea. It was just a takeoff on the american bandstand show and I typed the first number that came into my head. You must be young, I thought the "it's got a good beat" was a dead giveaway line ++Lar (25 years ago, 26-Mar-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Is there a right or wrong way to use the vote?

(...) What about strategic rating? Eg. thinking that a post is worth 70, but giving it 100 because someone else has already put it down to 40. This one is hard to avoid as it is tempting! I'm in the process of trying to create my personal rating (...) (25 years ago, 27-Mar-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Is there a right or wrong way to use the vote?

(...) Me too. (...) But now you're kidding, right? That's kind of scary. But I know you don't mean it, as I don't think you read off-topic.pun... Seriously, I do have a list in my head of people who are worth reading, either (mostly) because they're (...) (25 years ago, 27-Mar-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Is there a right or wrong way to use the vote?

(...) Ok, you got me there, I don't read .pun (or .train for that matter) so I miss a lot of what you write. But I read most of what you write in the groups I make time to follow. :) (25 years ago, 27-Mar-00, to lugnet.admin.general)