 Administrative / General / 5564
5563  |  5565
Subject:
Is there a right or wrong way to use the vote?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 26 Mar 2000 19:00:03 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

By design the system is hard to abuse - one person one vote, and everybody is
welcome to become a member and vote.

That said, does it defeat the ethos of the system when people start using it to
show a biased opinion, rather than an objective analysis of the 'quality' of
the post? Are they different anyway - if you agree with something then does
that mean you deem it to be more worthwhile, and therefore should be rated
higher?

I'm not sure that it should - I can disagree with something but still think
that it is making good points; I can agree with something but think that it
could be worded better. This is perhaps the beauty of the *scoring* range -
assuming generic "agree" is the high mid-point of 80, and the generic
"disagree" is the low midpoint 30, you can go up or down a notch depending on
the quality.

This is all irrelevant if there isn't an approved or encouraged way to use the
vote - but I am interested in how the system will evolve. For instance, if
everyone starts using high-end votes casually then will I have to abandon my
system and sucummb to the race condition?

Richard