 Administrative / General / 5569
Re: Is there a right or wrong way to use the vote?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 26 Mar 2000 19:21:06 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

In lugnet.admin.general, Richard Franks writes:
By design the system is hard to abuse - one person one vote, and everybody is
welcome to become a member and vote.

That said, does it defeat the ethos of the system when people start using it
to show a biased opinion, rather than an objective analysis of the 'quality'
of the post? Are they different anyway - if you agree with something then
does that mean you deem it to be more worthwhile, and therefore should be
rated higher?

It's designed to work with biases.  Tell it how _you_ reacted to the article,
not how you imagine others will react or how high quality you think the
article was.

If you have a personal disgust with some particular person and mark their
postings low even if you know others will probably enjoy them, that's
perfectly fine.  If other people disagree with you, your rating will be
drowned out.  If other people agree with you, then the intended effect
works as designed.

The ratings are supposed approximate the probability that a random viewer
will enjoy or not enjoy a particular article.

I'm not sure that it should - I can disagree with something but still think
that it is making good points; I can agree with something but think that it
could be worded better. This is perhaps the beauty of the *scoring* range -
assuming generic "agree" is the high mid-point of 80, and the generic
"disagree" is the low midpoint 30, you can go up or down a notch depending on
the quality.

Yup -- use it as you see fit -- insert personal biases if you want -- and
adjust those up or down if you want -- it'll all work out in the end.
Everyone is full of personal biases, that what makes us who we are.

This is all irrelevant if there isn't an approved or encouraged way to use
the vote - but I am interested in how the system will evolve. For instance,
if everyone starts using high-end votes casually then will I have to abandon
my system and sucummb to the race condition?

I'd say the "encouraged" way to use it is to mark your own personal reaction
and that only.  Make it completely independent of how you think other people
will react.  That's what the _average_ is for.

--Todd