 Administrative / General / 5120
Re: Tom, Ebay auction group? What happened?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 10 Mar 2000 15:06:27 GMT

On Fri, 10 Mar 2000 13:59:21 GMT, "R2" <r2eng@primenet.com> wrote:

Rob Farver wrote in message ...

You know, the people that put eBay in there title are doing it as a • courtesy.
It's certainly not required (and shouldn't be in my opinion).  Now you want
to turn around and harass the people that don't?  And please don't reply to
this saying they're harassing you.  If an eBay auction announcement is • placed
in market.auction it's not harassing, whether it has eBay in it's title or • not.
I'm tired of seeing all this animosity towards eBay auctions.  eBay • auctions
are a WHOLE lot easier to run than "hand run" auctions, and reach a WHOLE • lot
more people.  I used to have time to run auctions by hand but with two • kids,
a new house and my wife and I both working it's just not possible anymore.

I don't believe that it is a requirement that Ebay be listed in the subject
header. Using a filter was suggested as a means to filter out unwanted Ebay
auction announcements. I am just pointing out that the filter is becoming
less useful because people are not putting Ebay in their subject header when
they are announcing an Ebay auction. It was assumed that people would use
Ebay in the subject header. Why would you not use Ebay in the header if you
are selling on Ebay? I am curious why someone feels that they want to
"hide"(?) this fact.

It is not a requirement.  Using a filter is great if it helps you reduce the
number of eBay announcements you have to read.  But by forcing others to put
eBay in their title you are, in effect, saying that you want everyone else
to conform to your dislike of eBay announcements.  This is a newsgroup, not
email.  If you received these announcements by email you would have every
right to be upset, but these are on a newsgroup that you are seeking out.
It was assumed by YOU that people would put eBay in their titles, not by
everyone else.  It had been suggested that people do that, and some people
do (myself included) but it certainly wasn't required.

My comment about "spamming" was said in jest. I feel that I get "spammed",
by people not putting Ebay in their subject header, because I have put a
filter on auction announcements.

You can't get spammed by something that is correctly placed in the newsgroup
hierarchy.

I buy and sell (sometimes) on Ebay, however the Ebay auction announcements
have become so numerous that I found I was missing auction announcements by
"privates". I personally find all the Ebay auction announcements annoying. I
will find the auction when I search in Ebay and I believe that most people
on LUGNET DO search for sets on Ebay. I can only find out about "privates"
by looking here on LUGNET.

I have to question this.  I know for myself that there are so many different
items I would be interested in that I could never search for them all on eBay.
I also don't have the time (I doubt anyone does) to keep up to date on the
2000+ LEGO auctions running on eBay at any given time.  Can you honestly tell
me you've never run across an eBay announcement here that pointed out something
you might miss in your regular searching on eBay?  I know I have.

I just want to know if there were any decisions made about this subject or
else Tom can tell me to hang it up.

And who is Tom?  Do you mean Todd?

Rob

|  Rob Farver - rfarver@rcn.com             |