 Administrative / General / 4942
Re: lugnet.org.castle.castle-world?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 2000 21:32:08 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Eric Joslin writes:
OK.  Something that came out of a recent debate was that there is at least one
person besides me who has decreased activity in lugnet.castle due to the
preponderance of Castle World posts.  Therefore, I'd like to propose that
Castle World get it's own group for discussions, which by my logic would make
it lugnet.org.castle.castle-world (although I'm frankly not going to quibble
over the actualy place the group winds up :D).

I think this is definitely called for in that Castle World seems to require a
*lot* of admin/member discussion/debate that really isn't related to Lego
Castle Theme in any intrinsic way, yet are necessary for the Castle World
folks to continue their endeavor (one could argue that they could start a
mailing list or have a message board on the Castle World main website, but I'm
assuming that Lugnet would extend CW the same courtesy as NELUG, GMLTC, et
al).

Please understand that I am in no way trying to bash Castle World or say
anything negative about it.  I think it's a great idea and it seems to be
going swimmingly.  If I had the time and the energy I'd definitely be in on it
myself- and who knows, maybe one day I will be.  I'd just like to see
lugnet.castle return to being more about Lego Castle building in general.

Thoughts?

Well, my knee jerk reaction is "Definitely!". There have been a LOT of posts on
Castle World development and potential concepts, to which there has been a lot
of negative feedback-- primarily being that it clutters and bogs down
lugnet.castle.

However, I'm not inclined to think that it will be a trend that will persist--
I think once Castle World actually gets to be a developed site with established
policies, etc., the posts on LUGNET will drop dramatically. Hence, any group
established for castle world will probably become a more or less dead group,
unless there are continual posts to it about 'new updates' and what members
have added recently, etc. And THOSE posts aren't what are bothering steady
.castle readers-- it's the horde of messages like "I think scale should be X
with these rules governing structure placement and realm division, etc.". At
least that's my impression...

Anyway, I'm certainly happy to see a lugnet.castle.castleworld group become
inplimented, but I think it has the potential to die off really fast (within a
few months). If Todd et all don't mind having a dead group, no problem here!
But I assume that's part of the consideration of creating a new group-- how
'permenant' the group will be.

Otherwise, I would most likely suggest a mailing list for CW... I can look into
supplying one... I think that would most likely work best for a 'short-term'
solution...

Other ideas?

DaveE