 Administrative / General / 4944
Re: lugnet.org.castle.castle-world?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 2000 22:00:30 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Eric Joslin writes:
[...]
Thoughts?

Yah, prolly a wise idea...came up last week too...

When grouping and organizing, three main demographics typically com up:

1.  Geography/Proximity/etc.
2.  Age/Gender/Race/etc.
3.  Common interests

The .org.* ng hierarchy exists primarily to support #1 and to some extent also
#2, although groups of type #2 aren't relatively common (.org.us.kidlug is the
only one so far, and it's a mixture of #1 and #2).

Outside of the .org, to support #3, there's the possibility of .org sub-groups
for each system/theme or interest.  For example, there's .cad.dev.org.ldraw
for the ldraw.org site (pure #3), and there's .trains.org.* for train
organizations (a mixture of primarily #3 and #1).

So, since Castle World exists for the purpose of Castle stuff rather than
people happening to live in the same city or state, the group probably really
belongs as a subgroup of .castle.org.* -- either .castle.org.castleworld or
.castle.org.castle-world -- rather than .org.castle.castle-world.

Its placement is only really an issue because of coalescing groups up/down a
tree of groups.

--Todd