 Administrative / General / 492
Re: DejaNews and sff.net
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 22 Oct 1998 15:16:02 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote in message <362f2475.4780269@lugnet.com>...
But if someone runs an NNRP server (I think that's the right • terminology--?)
and acts as a normal NNTP client, then theoretically no problems will • arise.
I think this is what Matt M. is looking into...(?)

This is what I do, and yes, it shouldn't cause problems.  You can find more
information about the software that I'm using at http://www.nntpcache.org.

However it does allow me to crosspost between lugnet.* and RTL.  There would
be no way for you to disable this.  If I made such a crosspost it would show
up on dejanews (since it would be on RTL) and you would be able to find it
via a search for lugnet newsgroups (since my Newsgroups header would have
lugnet.blah and rec.toys.lego listed).  However it would only be one
article, not the entire set of newsgroups.  I have a feeling that this is
something like what the sff people are seeing.  I don't see why its a
problem... the message was destined for Usenet anyway (via RTL in my
example).  No, I don't make postings of this sort.

I think that the only way in which dejanews could pick up the entire set of
lugnet groups would be if someone setup a slurp-style feed from lugnet to
their own box, then fed this feed into dejanews.  There isn't really a good
way for you to stop this (you could deny their IP address access to your
server, but they could just as easily move their server).  I also don't
think that this is likely to happen.

ps. Your account registration seems to take the case of my From header into
account.  Why not just do case insensitive checks?

alex