 Administrative / General / 479
Re: DejaNews and sff.net
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 22 Oct 1998 01:15:05 GMT

Okay. received permission to repost.

Original post from Jeffrey Dwight (techsupport@sff.net):
On Tue, 30 Jun 1998 03:53:01 GMT, in sff.admin.announce.discuss you
wrote:

I didn't think there was much to add.  People seem to discover this every
two or three months.  DejaNews is not the only place to carry a selection of
SFF Net's public groups.  Several regular ISPs also mirror some newsgroups.

SFF Net is not happy about this practice, but we are still consulting with
our legal counsel about the wheretos, whyfores, and whatnots associated with
the whole issue.

In general, the SFF Net public newsgroups are public, and you should think
of them that way when you post.  Any non-member can waltz in here at any time
and read the public areas.  If the non-member happens to be an ISP's server,
who then reposts or mirrors the messages, there isn't much we can do to limit
that short of a restraining order or lawsuit.  We are not eager to pursue those
options, especially since (a) we want goodwill, and (b) the laws are not
unambiguous.

Our intention was --and is-- that SFF Net newsgroups not be propagated
elsewhere.  We have not reached a happy solution that ensures it.

- j.

Comments he wanted added today:
Sure, Sarah.  Please add that in our experience (since the below was
written), most ISPs are happy to be cooperative.  Others just ignore our
requests.  Some I've blocked.  But for every hole I plug, another two or
three open up.  It seems to be a losing battle.

- j.