 Administrative / General / 491
Re: DejaNews and sff.net
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 22 Oct 1998 15:15:51 GMT

Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> wrote:
But if someone runs an NNRP server (I think that's the right terminology--?)
and acts as a normal NNTP client, then theoretically no problems will arise.
I think this is what Matt M. is looking into...(?)

Right. But, the other Bad Thing (TM) someone could do is to make their NNRP
server also post all messages to a different server. So it pulls down news
from LUGnet, and automatically posts those messages to a different, public
server. (You'd have to send out a newgrp message too, of course.) Suddenly,
LUGnet becomes a public hierarchy. This is what Sarah is concerned about.

In fact, this is _very_ non-difficult -- the first time I configured a news
server to get feeds from two places, I made this configuration mistake
without thinking. Which is probably part of what's happening with sff.net's
private hierarchy -- not necessarily people being intentionally evil.