 Administrative / General / 493
Re: DejaNews and sff.net
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 22 Oct 1998 16:17:34 GMT

On Thu, 22 Oct 1998 15:16:02 GMT, "Alex Wetmore" <alex@phred.org>
wrote:

article, not the entire set of newsgroups.  I have a feeling that this is
something like what the sff people are seeing.  I don't see why its a
problem... the message was destined for Usenet anyway (via RTL in my
example).  No, I don't make postings of this sort.

I think that the only way in which dejanews could pick up the entire set of
lugnet groups would be if someone setup a slurp-style feed from lugnet to
their own box, then fed this feed into dejanews.  There isn't really a good
way for you to stop this (you could deny their IP address access to your
server, but they could just as easily move their server).  I also don't
think that this is likely to happen.

What is happening to sff.net is that (several times, at least) someone
set up a slurp-style feed from sff.net of (at least) certain groups to
another NNTP server. That server then broadcasts ALL of the groups it
carries to the servers it shares news with -- and these sff.net
newsgroups are being broadcast along with the normal UseNET groups.
And somewhere along the line, it gets broadcast to dejanews. So
Jeffrey has to find the source server that is slurping in the first
place, to ask them to stop.

If they won't stop, then he blocks them. Sure, they can move the
server. But then he blocks again. And moving IPs disrupts other things
as well so is not to be undertaken lightly.