 Administrative / General / 4856
  LUGNET Channels (Was: Lugnet for beginners)

(...) display (...) Another data item which would lend itself well to this is the links sidebar for each newsgroup page. In fact, just about any possible piece of data on LUGNET can be served into a channel -- member pages, thread info, even search (...) (24 years ago, 6-Mar-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: LUGNET Channels (Was: Lugnet for beginners)

(...) Wha?! You've seen CGI-generated pages from www.lugnet.com get *cached*? That shouldn't be happening... Could you provide a sample URL and I'll have a look through the httpd logs. --Todd (24 years ago, 6-Mar-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: LUGNET Channels (Was: Lugnet for beginners)

(...) well, I don't think that's what Jeremy meant, but lugnet's home page isn't set to expire immediatly - if you hit back on your browser to return to it, you get the old version (what you saw when you were there) and not the current one... :) Dan (24 years ago, 6-Mar-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: LUGNET Channels (Was: Lugnet for beginners)

(...) Erm, no I haven't *seen* them cached, just remembering this conversation: (URL) - jsproat (24 years ago, 6-Mar-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: LUGNET Channels (Was: Lugnet for beginners)

(...) Arg. I did say that I saw it. Figure of speech, and all that... Cheers, - jsproat (24 years ago, 6-Mar-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: LUGNET Channels (Was: Lugnet for beginners)

(...) Oh, yes, that kind of caching. That kind of caching _should_ be happening, yes. If that's what Jeremy's seeing, then that's the intended behavior (just like any other static .html page). Oops, I snipped too much of what Jeremy wrote when I (...) (24 years ago, 6-Mar-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: LUGNET Channels (Was: Lugnet for beginners)

(...) Okay, I'm confused. Please see my response at (URL) refers to a conversation we had last May: (URL) particular, I'm confused about "transparent caching", which I understood to be a function on LUGNET, rather than a proxy or the client. Cheers, (...) (24 years ago, 6-Mar-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: LUGNET Channels (Was: Lugnet for beginners)

(...) OH, I see what you mean now. No, the "transparent caching" (meaning internal intermedia results only -- not external results) is not a function of the server. It could be, and probably someday will be (if it needs to be), but it isn't that way (...) (24 years ago, 6-Mar-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: LUGNET Channels (Was: Lugnet for beginners)

(...) Okay, cool! Thanks for clearing that up for me. Cheers, - jsproat (24 years ago, 6-Mar-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: LUGNET Channels (Was: Lugnet for beginners)

(...) That should be "intermediate," not "intermedia." :-p --Todd (24 years ago, 6-Mar-00, to lugnet.admin.general)