 Administrative / General / 48
Re: Lugnet slowing down?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 29 Sep 1998 19:37:20 GMT

sarah@eskimo.com (Perhaps a Princess....) writes:

On Tue, 29 Sep 1998 19:00:15 GMT, lehman@javanet.com (Todd Lehman)
wrote:

Tue Sep 29 12:46:00 EDT 1998  0.01  |
Tue Sep 29 12:47:00 EDT 1998  0.00  |
Tue Sep 29 12:48:00 EDT 1998  0.00  |
Tue Sep 29 12:49:00 EDT 1998  0.00  |
Tue Sep 29 12:50:01 EDT 1998  0.00  | ~9:50AM Pacific time
Tue Sep 29 12:51:00 EDT 1998  0.00  |
Tue Sep 29 12:52:00 EDT 1998  0.00  |
Tue Sep 29 12:53:01 EDT 1998  0.00  |
Tue Sep 29 12:54:01 EDT 1998  0.00  |
Tue Sep 29 12:55:01 EDT 1998  0.11
Tue Sep 29 12:56:00 EDT 1998  0.04
Tue Sep 29 12:57:00 EDT 1998  0.01
Tue Sep 29 12:58:00 EDT 1998  0.00
Tue Sep 29 12:59:00 EDT 1998  0.05
Tue Sep 29 13:00:00 EDT 1998  0.02
Tue Sep 29 13:01:00 EDT 1998  0.07
Tue Sep 29 13:02:00 EDT 1998  0.02

It was technically, according to my watch, exactly 9:53AM when I wrote
the time in that article and my Task number was still steadily heading
downward as time passed. So, I don't know why the load was 0.00. I was
still busily downloading "all messages" (2 each) in all the loc.*
group and there was no long pause in the download rate at this time.

CNews (the newsserver software running here) is super-wicked efficient, so
it's possible for it to serve data to 1 person (maybe 2) with a load
average still at 0.00 -- since it's a load average is an average, after
all.  But I still think it's odd that it said 0.00 there at that time of
the day.  Oh well.  0.00 isn't really that uncommon for this server.

It is good to know it was not lugnet though.

I'm not ruling it out yet (because I'm new at this), but as far as I can
tell, you're right, it's not.

If Agent starts multiple threads of execution, and your OS doesn't handle
large numbers of multiple threads well or Agent's multithreading code is
not O(n), that might be the problem...?

Agent produces a separate task for each download of messages,
apparently. I don't know if it tries to execute these simultaneous or
not.

I hope it doesn't create a separate NNTP connection for each thread!

Sarah HEacock

Is the capital E after H there a pronunciation aid?  If so, does it work?
Maybe I should write my name as Todd LEhman (it's Irish, not German, so the
'e' is 'ee' and not 'ay' :-).

--Todd