 Administrative / General / 4178
Re: Specific problem: finding members - general conclusion: principle of least surprise needed on Lugnet
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 14 Jan 2000 13:14:36 GMT

Allan wrote...
Larry... I couldn't agree with you more.  LUGNET is very close to some of
the visionary goals that some people have for computers and the web.  It
makes a community out of people living far apart who've never met before.

Just a quick interjection here to agree - to the folks who have built and
continue to work on Lunget, kudos. Over lunch yesterday, a friend an I were
talking about the 'net and I commented that I had, after *way* too many
years of putting up with (or fighting with newsreader configurations to
avoid) idiots, spammers, and abusers, given up on newsgroups ... but that I
had found a place - and I even used the same word, "community" - that was
the type of "place" we all seek.

.  Is it possible that you are referring to newbies
to the LUGNET site itself?  Now they may be more computer literate and be
able to sort out URL's on their own.

I'm one of these, and have to admit that I've fallen into some of the same
holes that this thread is apparently attempting to fill.

--
-Steven  "Nothin' But Net!"
http://home.mindspring.com/~svore/