 Administrative / General / 4152
4151  |  4153
Subject:
Principle of least surprise needed (was Specific Problem, etc....)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 13 Jan 2000 03:12:20 GMT

True, true, and also true.

I agree with this for another reason.  Anyone who has performed a global search
for a very general subject knows that because of the large mass of messages
available for the search, the search produces huge numbers of matches.
For example, global searches of
'member'  = 1590 matches
'2000'    = 2781 matches
'catalog' = 2798 matches
'help'    = 5396 matches
'handyboard'   = 1719 matches
and none of these have a direct URL.

So, newcomers to lugnet who enter searches like above will be overwhelmed by
the search results unless they narrow their parameters.  As well, since no
URL's exist when these examples are used, a 404 or "Forbidden" appear providing
no help to the user.

I am no web expert, either, but I think that Lar has hit on something that can
only improve things here.  The idea of checking the 404 logs sounds excellent.

The site map situation is just as Lar says, a complete heirarchy map of the
newsgroups but really no useful information for someone searching for something
specific, such as my examples above.

I DO like how when any digit is entered into the global search box, a redirect
link for pause appears.  I think this is what Larry was eluding to and is about
all I am hoping for, as well.

~~~~~~~~~
Kevin Salm

This link:    http://www.lugnet.com/members

**ought** to work. It's an obvious thing to try. I could probably rattle off
another 1/2 dozen links that would be obvious things to try which don't do
anything useful but should.

I would claim that some set of folks ought to brainstorm up a bunch of these,
and then create pages for them. It's fine if those pages are just a redirect
link and nothing else, but good web design demands it.

{snip}

I just looked all over the front page, then went to the site map, to try to
find out what the link to see members of lugnet is. Can't find it easily.
The site map is really just a map to the newsgroups, near as I can tell. It
doesn't speak to pause much at all. That should be enhanced too.

How to figure out what is commonly tried? I ain't a webhead but does the
server keep a log of 404s? that might be a place to look for good stabs...

++Lar