 Administrative / General / 4172
Re: Specific problem: finding members - general conclusion: principle of least surprise needed on Lugnet
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 14 Jan 2000 01:39:59 GMT

Hi Larry,

It is NOT just about cramming more links on the main page, it's about
outthinking newbies who guessed wrong. Those are newbies who we WANT • hanging
out here because it's friendly and convenient, but we teach them how • things are
organized while helping them.

I have to disagree just a bit with this particular comment.  I will stick
my neck out and make the following statement:

Most (keyword MOST) newbies to the web could care less about URL's.  Most
want a dot.com address and then will click away until they find something.
They may get frustrated, they may abandon all hope, they may strike
paydirt.  But most will simply not bother to try and second guess the URL
structure of a site.

Now... perhaps we are talking about two different types of newbies here.
I'm referring to computer/web newbies who truly need to rely on good
hotlinks to get around.  Is it possible that you are referring to newbies
to the LUGNET site itself?  Now they may be more computer literate and be
able to sort out URL's on their own. In which case your arguments are
perfectly valid. Perhaps we should come to a consensus on the use of the
word newbie.  :)

LUGNET is much much more than any mere personal website. Even mine. :-)

Larry... I couldn't agree with you more.  LUGNET is very close to some of
the visionary goals that some people have for computers and the web.  It
makes a community out of people living far apart who've never met before.
It's what's allowing you and I to have this little repartee.  :)

Best regards,
Allan
--
Expert Builder Website - The Megaproject Showcase
http://www.execulink.com/~apotome/expert.htm