 Administrative / General / 4164
Re: Specific problem: finding members - general conclusion: principle of least surprise needed on Lugnet
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 13 Jan 2000 23:46:57 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Matthew Miller writes:
Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> wrote:
IIRC, http://quotes.yahoo.com/ actually used to go to Yahoo's stock quotes
page a while back.  I don't know about you, but it's much easier for me to

Try <URL:http://quote.yahoo.com/>.

I think you missed the point, Matt. (and Alan, you did too...) Todd isn't
asking where to get stock quotes, he's elaborating on my example.

For a high traffic website like Lugnet, that has a lot of areas to explore, it
is a GOOD THING to put redirect links rather than 404s in common error places.
My example of quotes.yahoo.com is a demonstration of what I am driving at. It's
wrong. But it's such an obvious mistake that one could make, that something has
been put there to aid the explorer (which Yahoo wants to encourage) in finding
the way to the right place.

Alan's site is more like my site than it is like Lugnet. Noone is likely to be
poking around trying to find services. So we don't really need redirect pages,
it's fine to walk the menus we have set up.

Alan: Sorry if what I said came off abrupt to you, but I was in a hurry, it was
targeted mostly to Todd, and he knew exactly what I was saying and agreed with
me. Thanks for the lecture just the same, though, as your points ARE valid in
the general case.

++Lar