 Administrative / General / 4171
Re: Specific problem: finding members - general conclusion: principle of least surprise needed on Lugnet
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 14 Jan 2000 01:26:48 GMT

Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> wrote in article
<Fo9Jz6.1q4@lugnet.com>...
In lugnet.admin.general, Allan Bedford writes:
As a person who has spent way too many hours on the web over the last • few
years I'm not sure why you claim that this link *ought* to work.  I • almost
never find myself trying to guess the directory/URL structure of • someone
else's website.

I think Larry is absolutely right.  It -ought- to work like that, in case
someone happens to type that in if they can't find the page easily (say,
they knew it was there and they'd been to it before, but they couldn't
remember the URL off-hand).

Todd, my only question about this comment is:

Are you then responsible to your visitors for always maintaining the same
URL structure for ever and ever?  What if... for whatever reason... you
decide to make some changes.  It's your domain name, it's your server, it's
all yours.  So long as people can always find http://www.lugnet.com, isn't
that enough?

Suppose someone says to themselves, "hey I really liked that Cool LEGO Site
of the Week page, I'm gonna go find it now."  Would you rather have them
quickly surf to your front page and click on the link, or spend X amount of
time trying to 'figure out' where that page might be.  Maybe it moved.
Maybe it's been renamed.  Maybe it's on a Unix server and the URL is case
sensitive.... who knows.  And what is the correct way to name that section
in a URL?

Is it

http://www.lugnet.com/clsotw

or

http://www.lugnet.com/cool_LEGO_site_of_the_week

or

http://www.lugnet.com/coollegositeoftheweek

or...

You get the idea.

[BTW, I truly just guessed at the links above when I was composing this.
Then I went back, during a quick reread and checked out what the real URL
is.... I was wrong on all counts.  It's really
http://www.lugnet.com/cool/.  And I never would have guessed that.  I stick
with my original argument.]

I don't mean to be picky.  In fact, I was only trying to jump in and say,
"Hey, Todd's doing a great job as is... I'm happy."  I guess that's my
message in the end.  Your URL's are your own to do with as you like, I just
want a simple, easy-to-navigate web interface from which to access them.
:)

Nope, that's not why.  It's not a time thing -- it would take less than a
minute to add a link there.  The reason there hasn't been a highly • visible
link is because memberships aren't ready to be heavily promoted yet.  Now
that the numbers are into the 150's, however, it's probably safe to make • it
a little bit easier to help newbies find the intro page (but not too easy
yet).

That makes perfect sense.  :)

You can be sure then when there's more actual meat there, BTW, it'll be
impossible to miss.  :)

I look forward to it.

Best regards,
Allan
--
Expert Builder Website - The Megaproject Showcase
http://www.execulink.com/~apotome/expert.htm