 Administrative / General / 3669
Re: .loc.eu (was: Re: UKLUG Prototype online)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 1999 23:55:24 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Simon Denscombe writes:
Todd Lehman wrote:
I would suggest posting a wide announcement and directing followups to
groups like lugnet.robotics.events & lugnet.org -- for example:
   Newsgroups: lugnet.announce,lugnet.robotics.events,lugnet.org,
               lugnet.loc.at,lugnet.loc.be,lugnet.loc.ch,lugnet.loc.dk,
               lugnet.loc.de,lugnet.loc.es,lugnet.loc.fi,lugnet.loc.fr,
               lugnet.loc.ie,lugnet.loc.it,lugnet.loc.nl,lugnet.loc.no,
               lugnet.loc.pt,lugnet.loc.se,lugnet.loc.uk
--Todd

I think this is an ideal opportunity to create a lugnet.loc.eu to help
organise these events and also European-wide set releases, special
offers since many companies now ship overseas in the EETA (1).  EU
officially standing for European Union although this newsgroup would
cover the whole of Europe.

I agree in full. That'd be the proper place to organize major or minor events,
and to inform everybody in Europe of good deals and opportunities. For
example there are a few companies that sell via internet in Europe only
(Toyshop, Riemann etc.).

I was wondering about the same thing the other day, when Mario needed to be
able to post to a whole bunch of European countries.  The bummer of it is,
even though .eu isn't assigned an ISO country code AFAIK, the other • continents
that would need to map like that for symmetry do have clashes:
   .eu  Europe (not a problem)

I think loc.eu is a special case because it's independent countries
ruling themselves but also intergrated - I don't think that arrangement
appears anywhere else.  I know .eu is used as a second level domain
europarl.eu.int for example.

If there were a .loc.e for Europe, BTW, it could contain a list of virtual
categories (cross-references) into other categories in the .loc hierarchy
for countries in Europe.  Articles posted to .loc.de or .loc.uk, for • example,
wouldn't show up in the .loc.e tree, however, without some fancy footwork
in the article indexer.  The latter is probably inevitable someday, BTW.

loc.e sounds stupid IMO :-)  I agree that loc.eu should be treated as a
seperate country as it were with threads staying in loc.eu - maybe
crossposting shouldn't be needed that much.

I agree again with Simon. Probably crossposting won't be needed very much. The
activity in the .eu ng would be rather limited by its own nature.
I share the idea that Europe in this case should reflect a geographical
meaning, and not a political one (European Union).

Mario