 Off-Topic / Fun / 3661
Re: .loc.eu (was: Re: UKLUG Prototype online)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sun, 5 Dec 1999 06:46:10 GMT

James Brown wrote:

  .an  Antarctica (.an already means Netherlands Antilles)
  .loc.ant  Antarctica
  .loc.aq Antarctica (country = continent, more or less)

Erm, Umm, how many AFOL's are down there, anyway?  I mean, really.  And is it
really necessary?  The population of Antartica is exclusive to about a 1/2
dozen scientists squished into research trailers, so are these groups really
necessary?

I don't know about you, but when I'm trapped all by myself and bored out of my
gourd, I want either to play with my Lego or on the Internet (or on LUGNET, the
best of both worlds).  They can't even go out to the bar like people who live in
other inhospitably cold places like Siberia, Tunguska (not even any trees!), the
Yukon, or Michigan.  ;)

Or has Lego started marketing to penguins?(1)

1: And you though WE have a hard time convincing Lego that we're a significant
market share... ;)

They can't be marketing to penguins.  The polar bears in the 2000 lineup pretty
much confirm that.  On the other hand, they *may* be marketing to polar bears.
There are at least two who have a significant income from long-term product
endorsements, and one of them is definitely in the age bracket Lego targets.  (The
bird in one of those commercials is a puffin or an auk, not a penguin--but we can
discuss the consumer patterns of puffins in another thread.)

This polar-bear centered strategy has precedent; when monkeys were hip, there were
many Lego monkeyfigs available, and is it any coincidence that Lego crocodiles
made more appearances after that skin lotion commercial with the alligator began
appearing?  These aren't gaivals TLG is molding after all, but rather one of the
Big Two living eosuchians[1].  There's got to be demo...er, suchiographics at work
here!

Thinking entirely too much about this,

Lindsay

[1] Taxonomic family name for all living crocodiles, alligators, and the like.

---

Lindsay Frederick Braun (Mr)
Department of History