 Administrative / General / 3663
Re: .loc.eu (was: Re: UKLUG Prototype online)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 1999 22:03:23 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:
I was wondering about the same thing the other day, when Mario needed to be
able to post to a whole bunch of European countries.  The bummer of it is,
even though .eu isn't assigned an ISO country code AFAIK, the other continents
that would need to map like that for symmetry do have clashes:
   .eu  Europe (not a problem)

I think loc.eu is a special case because it's independent countries
ruling themselves but also intergrated - I don't think that arrangement
appears anywhere else.  I know .eu is used as a second level domain
europarl.eu.int for example.

If there were a .loc.e for Europe, BTW, it could contain a list of virtual
categories (cross-references) into other categories in the .loc hierarchy
for countries in Europe.  Articles posted to .loc.de or .loc.uk, for example,
wouldn't show up in the .loc.e tree, however, without some fancy footwork
in the article indexer.  The latter is probably inevitable someday, BTW.

loc.e sounds stupid IMO :-)  I agree that loc.eu should be treated as a
seperate country as it were with threads staying in loc.eu - maybe
crossposting shouldn't be needed that much.

--
Carbon 60
ICQ # 5643170