 Administrative / General / 3372
3371  |  3373
Subject:
.loc.eu (was: Re: UKLUG Prototype online)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 5 Dec 1999 01:25:53 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Simon Denscombe writes:
[...]
On a completely different note I think lugnet.loc.eu should be created for
countries of the European Union.  This would be for European-wide set
releases, exclusive sets in different countries and especially an European
LEGOFest which I hope can happen before the end of next year (hoping :-) ).

I was wondering about the same thing the other day, when Mario needed to be
able to post to a whole bunch of European countries.  The bummer of it is,
even though .eu isn't assigned an ISO country code AFAIK, the other continents
that would need to map like that for symmetry do have clashes:

   .eu  Europe (not a problem)
   .na  North America (.na already means Namibia)
   .sa  South America (.sa already means Saudi Arabia)
   .au  Australia (not a problem; country of .au is similar to continent)
   .as  Asia (.as already means American Samoa)
   .af  Africa (.af already means Afghanistan)
   .an  Antarctica (.an already means Netherlands Antilles)

And it doesn't make sense to put the continents on a lower level than the
countries, like .loc.continent.eu, for example.  :-(

It might be possible to use three-letter or one-letter abbreviations:

   .loc.eur  Europe
   .loc.nam  North America
   .loc.sam  South America
   .loc.asi  Asia
   .loc.afr  Africa
   .loc.aus  Australia
   .loc.ant  Antarctica

or

   .loc.e  Europe
   .loc.n  North America
   .loc.s  South America
   .loc.a  errm, uhhh...

maybe

   .loc.e  Europe
   .loc.n  North America
   .loc.s  South America
   .loc.a  Asia
   .loc.f  Africa
   .loc.au Australia (country = continent, more or less)
   .loc.aq Antarctica (country = continent, more or less)

Or maybe

   .loc.w      Western Hemisphere
   .loc.w.a    Americas
   .loc.w.a.n  North America
   .loc.w.a.s  South America
   .loc.e      Eastern Hemisphere
   .loc.e.e    Europe
   .loc.e.a    Asia
   .loc.e.f    Africa
   etc.

(just kidding on that last one...)

If there were a .loc.e for Europe, BTW, it could contain a list of virtual
categories (cross-references) into other categories in the .loc hierarchy
for countries in Europe.  Articles posted to .loc.de or .loc.uk, for example,
wouldn't show up in the .loc.e tree, however, without some fancy footwork
in the article indexer.  The latter is probably inevitable someday, BTW.

--Todd