 Administrative / General / 3627
Re: Help: Re: review: LEGO '99
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 14 Dec 1999 05:48:56 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Luis Villa writes:
It would have to be (space)(four digit number)(space) only. Otherwise
you'd have problems with phone numbers, possibly auction prices, years,
etc. Other than that, it's a great idea.
-Luis

Actually it wouldn't matter too much if false matches were made, as the
context would be enough for people to recognize that this is a real set
number.  The idea is to just provide a quick link to the database so that
people can see a set if they don't know what its number represents.  If it's a
phone number, or year, you wouldn't bother clicking on it.  The text will be
easily readable no matter what.

Periods and commas will be VERY common to follow a set number.  But so might a
lot of other things.  If it was necessary to restrict the parsing beyond just
looking for four digits, I would suggest besides any type of whitespace, the
following set of characters be used before: #([{' " and
after: .,!?;:s)]}' " .  Probably I've left out some, though.  Someone might
give a list of sets without spaces, for instance, and then a comma should go
in the 'before' set as well.

To summarize, though, I don't think it would be too big a deal if there were
false matches.  The benefit of having this feature would more than make up for
the minor inconvenience other times.

--
  David Schilling